Due to the continuous seismic activity of the Southeast Crater, the Institute of Volcanology has sent a safety notice that does not allow us to reach the top of Etna. The limit with the guides is 2920 meters above sea level. We cannot go further. The limit without a guide instead is at 2500 meters.
At the moment the volcanic tremor has not diminished, which means that until the volcanological parameters do not diminish (if the volcano does not return to a state of calm), we are not allowed to take tourists into the danger zone.
If you want to make the excursion the meeting will be at 8:30, at the parking lot of the (Rifugio Sapienza), this is the position to follow with the google maps application to get there without problems: meeting point
The hike begins at the Sapienza refuge at 1,900 meters above sea level. You will take the cable car (round trip) up to an altitude of 2,500 meters. Here you will begin your trek on foot up to an altitude of 2920 meters, passing by the still smoldering lava flows from the most recent eruptions and Etna’s most active crater at the moment, the Southeast Crater. Then your guide will take you to see also the 2002 craters with still very hot fumaroles.
The return from 2920 meters is on foot till the cable car station (2500 meters).
Total cost € 75 per person – € 65 for children under 12 years old
Included in the price to be paid to the guide (45 € per person for adults – 40 Euro for children under 12 years) :
- Authorized Volcanological Guide
- Trekking poles
- Accident insurance
- Entrance fee – Etna
- Warm jackets
- Trekking shoes
Price excluded :
* Bottled water
* 30 € to be paid on site, (at the transport office): tickets for the cableway (round trip) from 1900mt to 2500mt
* K-way (waterproof jacket)
* Wind proof jacket
* Parking ticket
Total duration: 5 hours
Total km: 6.5 km
Total elevation gain: 450 m (it may vary)
Difficulty: For hikers used to walking at high altitude – E (hikers).
You will walk through a lunar landscape consisting of ancient and recent craters. We will cross lava flows. We will walk on the most recent lava flows produced by the craters, with the possibility of admiring sulfur, copper and sodium minerals. It will also be possible to touch the hot and steaming ground due to active fumaroles. All accompanied by explanations of volcanological guides officially prepared.
Good to know
- In the event of adverse weather conditions, we will advise you in order to communicate the cancellation or postponement of your excursion, at the earliest possible date.
- There is no advance payment for the reservation, after communicating your reservation to our number: +39 345 5741330 you will pay directly the guide who will be with you the day of the excursion.
- There is no advance payment for transportation. The guide will take you inside the office of the Funivia dell’Etna for the payment of the return tickets, just before the departure.
- In case of many requests, the participants will be divided into smaller groups with different guides, according to the languages in order to avoid the formation of large groups of people.
How to book ?
To book you can respond by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, providing your details (name, surname, actual date of the excursion, number of participants and cell phone number of reference), sending a message to our number on whatsapp: +39 345 5741330 active every day from 9:30 to 19:00.
© Volcanological Guides Etna Nord – Law 22 April 1941, n. 633
Protection of copyright and other rights related to its exercise.
Our group is composed of Guides belonging to the Regional College of Alpine and Volcanological Guides of Sicily, the Italian law provides that these professional figures are the only ones qualified to lead groups in active volcanoes’ areas and throughout the island territory (Framework Law of 2 January 1989, n° 6 and Regional Law of 6 April 1996).