Departures provided every day from Provenzana (Etna North) at 8:30 am
The alternative excursion to the Summit Craters from North Etna, involves an ascent by means of transport up to an altitude of 2450 meters. As, at a higher altitude, the road that allows you to climb higher by vehicle is already covered with snow and ice.
The Volcanological Guide will accompany the group to the Crater of Monte Pizzillo at 2500 meters above sea level. Then through the flows of 1614/24 and the Craters of 1809 you will reach the fracture of 1947 where you will visit the lava flow channels (with the use of protective ⛑ helmets). During the excursion you will see the craters of: 1614 / 24,1809, 1874,1879,1911,1923,1974 / 75 and 2002 (the last eruption that destroyed the tourist resort of Piano Provenzana)
PRICES = € 70 per person / € 60 per person for children under 12
Included in the price (70€ per person):
- Authorized Volcanological Guide
- Vehicles 4×4 (one way) from an altitude of 1800 m. at an altitude of 2450 m.
- Trekking poles
- Protective helmets
- Accident insurance
- Trekking shoes
• Bottled water
• K-way (rain jacket)
• Parking ticket
Meeting at the: Kiosk Bar Mareneve in Piano Provenzana 1800 meters at 8:00 am.
Departures scheduled every day at 8:30 am.
Ascent with 4×4 vehicles from Piano Provenzana.
Arrival at an altitude of 2450 m.t.
Trekking fracture of 1947
Continuation of the descent with a visit to the side craters of the various eruptions
Arrival in Piano Provenzana 1800 m.t.
Total duration of the trek: 4h
Total km: 6 (variable value)
Maximum altitude reached: 2500 m.t. (variable value)
Minimum altitude reached: 1800 m.t.
- Layered outfit (short sleeved t-shirt, long sleeved or thermal t-shirt) – (it may vary according to the season)
- High hiking shoes
- Windbreaker or quilted jacket
- Hat and gloves (according to the temperature of the seasons especially in: winter, spring and autumn)
- Water – minimum 1,5 L
- Trekking sticks
- K-way (rainproof jacket)
- Backpack 25/30 L
- Lip balm
- Extra socks
- Long pants
- Rainproof jacket
- Extra t-shirt
- Handkerchief or bandana (to protect yourself from the dust or the volcanic gases)
- Trekking is not recommended for those who does not do physical activity regularly.
- The excursion requires a good preparation on a physical level. Because of it results to be a high height path, it would be easy to experience symptoms of fatigue.
- It is required also to be careful, since it is volcanic soil, often inconsistent and unstable.
- The excursion could be subjected to variations at the discretion of the Guides, or it could be interrupted in case of changes of the environmental, climatic or volcanic conditions, so as to undermine the safety of the entire group.
- The total time of the trekking trail will depends on the general pace.
- The excursion will be carried out according to the limits laid down by the ordinance in force.
- The route is also suited for children over 6 years old.
- The route consists of the ascent and the walking along the crater edges, this may cause dizziness to susceptible individuals.
- This type of itinerary, in relation to the type, is suited to people in good physical health, not suffering from particular disease (it is strongly discouraged to those who suffer from cardio-vascular problems, breathing problems or hypertension).
- We recommend not to use contact lens, because of the exhaled volcanic gases and of ash. This last one could easily cause problems, if pushed.
- Pregnant women who have passed the third month of pregnancy are not allowed to take part to any excursion activity.
- For the success of the excursion and for its correct carrying out, it’s good to know perfectly your health conditions and, if necessary, let the Guides know about them, in order to reduce the occurrence of any problem and to avoid any risks.
Call our number: +393455741330 or send us an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Via Provenzana, 35, Ufficio Guide Vulcanologiche Etna Nord, 95015 Linguaglossa CT
Tel: +39 3455741330
© Volcanological Guides Etna Nord – Law 22 April 1941, n. 633
Protection of copyright and other rights related to its exercise.
Our group is composed of Guides belonging to the Regional College of Alpine and Volcanological Guides of Sicily, the Italian law provides that these professional figures are the only ones qualified to lead groups in active volcanoes’ areas and throughout the island territory (Framework Law of 2 January 1989, n° 6 and Regional Law of 6 April 1996).