Hike with a small group
Departures planned from Piano Provenzana every day at 8:00 – Available from (May to November)
Prices : €140 per person – (transport services included)
Check for available posts in our calendar
For more details write us on whatsapp: +39 3455741330 or send us an email to: email@example.com
Excursion to the top of Etna volcano from the North side
Departures planned from Piano Provenzana each every day at 8:00.
Ascent with special off-road vehicles along the panoramic path on the northern side of the volcano, till a height of 2825 mt. From this point we start the ascent on foot for 5 km uphill on a path surrounded by volcanic scoria and bombs. After doing 470mt positive level difference, we will reach the edge of the Central Crater (main crater of the volcano), at an altitude of 3300 mt. There we will stop to admire the greatness, the uniqueness and the processes of the volcanic environment, united to the spectacle of the view you can enjoy from the roof of Sicily (the visibility could change according to the weather or volcanic conditions). ⚠️ WARNING ⚠️ The long descent could be harder than the climb, as you descend 1500 meters of negative altitude, from an altitude of 3300 meters to an altitude of 1800 metres, strongly not recommended for those who suffer from joint problems and especially knee problems!.
-The downhill will continue on soft scoria and volcanic ashes, passing thorough Piano delle Concazze (at 2750 mt, the base of the Volcanological Observatory). Then we will continue inside of one of the sandy big channel, characteristics of the North-East side of the volcano and surrounded by endemic plants and seasonal torrents, before of reaching the downhill path and the beech forest up to Piano Provenzana, arrival point of our excursion.The excursion includes a total of 12 kilometers of walking (round trip) for 5/6 hours, absolutely suitable for those who are used to walking regularly in the mountains, not recommended for those with vertigo, physical health or fatigue problems.
Included in the price (€140 per person) – (To be paid on the spot at the starting point on the morning of the excursion):
- Authorized Volcanological Guide
- Ascent with special 4×4 vehicles (one way) from an altitude of 1800 m. at an altitude of 2825 m.t.
- Trekking poles
- Protective helmets
- Accident insurance
- Trekking shoes
- Warm jackets
- Extra socks
- €20 per person with off-road vehicles from an altitude of 2800 m.t. at an altitude of 1800 m.t. for those who decide to use the vehicles downhill to Piano Provenzana -> (The interested customer will have to pay the sum of money directly to the transport company). IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN TAKEING THE BUS DOWN FROM 2800M ALTITUDE, WE INVITE YOU TO COMMUNICATE IT AT THE TIME OF BOOKING ON OUR NUMBER: +39 345 5741330 – OR 👉🏻 BOOK THE EXCURSION DIRECTLY WITH DESCENT BY BUS.
- Bottled water
- K-way (rain jacket)
- 3€ Parking ticket (It can also be paid for after the excursion)
- Hat and Gloves (especially in autumn and spring)
Good to know
- In the event of adverse weather conditions, we will advise you in order to communicate the cancellation or postponement of your excursion, at the earliest possible date.
- There is no advance payment for the reservation (except for: agencies, groups or private services), after communicating your reservation to our number: +39 345 5741330 you will pay directly the guide who will be with you the day of the excursion.
- In case of many requests, the participants will be divided into smaller groups with different guides, according to the languages in order to avoid the formation of large groups of people.
Meeting at Piano Provenzana 1800 mt at 7:30.
Departures planned from Piano Provenzana every day at : 8:00/8:15.
Ascent with special 4×4 vehicles.
Arrival at a height of 2825 mt.
Start of trekking till the Etna Summit Craters at 3315 mt.
Downhill on ground made by sand and volcanic scoria.
Arrival at Piano delle Concazze at 2750 mt.
Continuation of the downhill inside sandy big channels and on volcanic ashes.
Arrival at Piano Provenzana, at 1800 mt.
Total time of the trekking trail: 5/6hours
Total kilometers uphill: 5
Total km downhill: 7
Total kilometers (round-trip): 12 km (it may vary)
Maximum altitude reached: 3315 mt.
Minimum altitude reached: 1800 mt.
POSITIVE DIFFERENCE : 500 mt (it may vary)
DIFFERENCE IN DOWNHILL : 1500 mt (it may vary) ⚠️WARNING ⚠️ The long descent could be harder than the climb, as you descend for 1500 meters of negative altitude, from an altitude of 3300 meters to an altitude of 1800 meters, strongly not recommended for those who suffer of joint problems and especially in the knees!.
Difficulty: E (FOR EXPERIENCED HIKERS)
- Snack/Lunch bag
- Water – minimum 1,5 L per person
- Layered outfit (short sleeved t-shirt, long sleeved or thermal t-shirt) – (it may vary according to the season)
- Trekking shoes Windbreaker or quilted jacket
- Hat and gloves (according to the temperature) – Especially in spring and autumn
- Trekking sticks
- K-way (rainproof jacket)
- Backpack 25/30 L
- Lip balm
- Extra socks
- Long pants
- Rainproof jacket
- Extra t-shirt
- Handkerchief or bandana (to protect yourself from the dust or the volcanic gases)
- Trekking is not recommended for those who does not do physical activity regularly.
- Trekking is not recommended for those who does not do mountain hiking regularly.
- The excursion requires a good preparation on a physical level. Because of it results to be a high height path, it would be easy to experience symptoms of fatigue.
- It is required also to be careful, since it is volcanic soil, often inconsistent and unstable.
- The excursion could be subjected to variations at the discretion of the Guides, or it could be interrupted in case of changes of the environmental, climatic or volcanic conditions, so as to undermine the safety of the entire group.
- The total time of the trekking trail will depends on the general pace.
- The excursion will be carried out according to the limits laid down by the ordinance in force.
- The route is also suited for children over 13 years old.
- The route consists of the ascent and the walking along the crater edges, this may cause dizziness to susceptible individuals.
- This type of itinerary, in relation to the type, is suited to people in good physical health, not suffering from particular disease (it is strongly discouraged to those who suffer from cardio-vascular problems, breathing problems or hypertension).
- We recommend not to use contact lens, because of the exhaled volcanic gases and of ash. This last one could easily cause problems, if pushed.
- Pregnant women who have passed the third month of pregnancy are not allowed to take part to any excursion activity.
- For the success of the excursion and for its correct carrying out, it’s good to know perfectly your health conditions and, if necessary, let the Guides know about them, in order to reduce the occurrence of any problem and to avoid any risks.
© Volcanological Guides Etna North
Facebook/Instagram: Guide Vulcanologiche Etna Nord
Denomination/Corporate name: Volcanological Guide Cooperative Etna Nord Soc.Coop.
Recipient Code : T04ZHR3 (the second character is a zero)
VAT/Tax Code: IT05583690879
Headquarters in: Via Viola 1 – Linguaglossa (CT) CAP: 95015
Tel : + 39 3455741330
© Etna Nord Volcanological Guides – Law 22 April 1941, n. 633
Protection of copyright and other rights related to its exercise.
Our group is made up of Guides belonging to the Regional College of Alpine and Volcanological Guides of Sicily, the Italian legislation provides that these professional figures are the only ones authorized to lead groups in active volcanoes and throughout the island (Framework Law of 2 January 1989 No. 6 and Regional Law of April 6, 1996).