Winter snowshoeing on the volcano
What to expect:
- Unique landscapes of its kind
- Contrast between the snow and the dark volcanic rock
- Woods, lava flows, fractures and lateral craters
- View of the sea and the Summit Craters of Etna
- Regenerating experience
– Given the presence of explosive activity that can be extremely dangerous for anyone near the summit area, the Civil Protection has published an Ordinance that does not allow the public to be accompanied to the summit. We must necessarily stop at an altitude of 2850 meters at Etna North and at an altitude of 2750 meters in Etna South. Given the current situation of the volcano and the rules to follow, under our responsibility (when the volcano is calmer) we reach an altitude of 2900 m. (Starting from Etna Sud).
-Excursions can therefore be made, at the altitudes written above (in compliance with the Ordinance in force); it should also be considered that the volcano is currently covered with snow starting from an altitude of 1500 meters, which necessarily implies the use of equipment during our excursions such as: snowshoes and mountaineering skis or crampons for activities above an altitude of 2200 meters for the certain presence of ice.
– All equipments can be rented on site, with the exception of crampons, especially at the tourist resort of Piano Provenzana in Etna Nord, at a cost that varies from 10 euros per person for snowshoes and 20 euros per person for mountaineering skis.
How the excursion takes place and where does it start …
At the touristic small village of Piano Provenzana, the group of Etna Nord Volcano Guides provide services every day, offering the possibility of making excursions to the craters that destroyed the tourist resort during the great eruption of 27 October 2002.
This activity was highly appreciated by all those who wished to try the experience of walking with snowshoes or simply trekking on the snow-covered volcano.
- Excellent choice for all those looking for a valid alternative to skiing or to the classic sledding descents.
- Attention, however, it is necessary to book at least one day in advance.
- The route starts from Piano Provenzana, which rises from an altitude of 1800 meters to an altitude of 2200 meters. It has a total duration of 3 hours, with a total of 400 meters of positive difference in height, for a distance of 5 km (round trip).
Prices: € 30 for adults and € 20 for children under 12 years, plus any € 10 per person to be added to the total cost, for renting snowshoes and trekking poles (at authorized rentals).
Included in the price 30 €
- Authorized volcanological guide
- Accident insurance
Excluded from the price:
- Bottled water
- Ski suit
- Trekking poles
- Trekking shoes
- Snow boots
- K-way (waterproof jacket)
- Parking ticket
– The appointment for this excursion will be at 9:00 am at: Il KIOSCO BAR MARENEVE by Ferraro Giuseppa. By clicking on the link, Google Maps will automatically open, so you can easily get to the starting point: https://goo.gl/maps/mCLCod52m6aF9xMb6
Please note: In periods characterized by greater turnout, the meeting point could be anticipated, at 8: 45/9: 00, in order to guarantee you can find a place for your cars, given the mass of skiers arriving, and the consequent difficulty in finding parking space.
- Recommended clothing: Layered, thermal t-shirt, fleece / down jacket, windbreaker, (preferably wearing a ski suit), gloves and hat.
- Compulsory equipment: trekking or après-ski shoes.
- € 10 for rent of snowshoes and trekking poles
- We recommend that you go to the starting points of our excursions, equipped with thermal tires or chains ⛓ on board (if necessary), which are mandatory in the winter months to climb the volcano.
- In the event of adverse weather conditions, we will advise you in order to communicate the cancellation or postponement of your excursion, at the earliest possible date.
- There is no advance payment, you will pay our service directly on site to the mountain or volcanological guide who will be with you.
How to book?
To book, you can reply by email to the address:firstname.lastname@example.org, providing your details (name, surname, actual date of the excursion, number of participants and mobile phone number).Or we recommend sending a message to our number on whatsapp: +39 345 5741330 active every day from 9:30 to 19:00.
Article written by : Vincenzo Greco G.V.
Guide Vulcanologiche Etna Nord
Facebook: Guide Vulcanologiche Etna Nord
Via Viola,1 – Ufficio Guide Vulcanologiche Etna Nord, 95015 Linguaglossa CT
© Volcanological Guides Etna Nord – Law 22 April 1941, n. 633
Protection of copyright and other rights related to its exercise.
Our group is made up of Guides belonging to the Regional College of Alpine and Volcanological Guides of Sicily, the Italian legislation provides that these professionals are the only ones authorized to lead groups in active volcanoes and throughout the island (Framework Law of 2 January 1989 No. 6 and Regional Law of April 6, 1996).