Excursion with small group
Excursion to the real peak of Etna up to 3300m from the north
Departures scheduled every day by reservation at 8:00 and at 13:30
Available from May to November
Prices: 120 € per adults
Departures foreseen when a minimum of 4 participants is reached
Check for available posts in our calendar
Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec 2023 2024 2025 2026 Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Call our number +39 3455741330 – send a message on whatsapp or write an email to : firstname.lastname@example.org
Departures scheduled by Piano Provenzana every day by reservation at 8:00AM and at 13:00PM (if weather conditions allow).
On board special 4×4 vehicles you will climb along the panoramic road of the north side of Etna through ancient craters and recent lava flows up to an altitude of 2960 meters. Subsequently the ascent of 3km on foot will begin on a path made up of bombs and volcanic slag. The difference in altitude to be covered uphill will be 330 meters until you reach the real Central Crater of Etna, at an altitude of 3300 meters, during the climb you will take breaks (for explanations and refreshments). Once at the summit, we stop to admire the grandeur and uniqueness of the volcanic environment, the processes connected to it and the spectacular view from the roof of Sicily (visibility may vary depending on the weather or volcanic conditions). The 2km descent will take place along the same route taken uphill, only the last stretch will take place inside small channels made up of soft and friable volcanic slag, on which it is possible to walk easily without major problems by adopting the necessary precautions. Returning to an altitude of 2825 meters you will board the 4×4 vehicles for the return to Piano Provenzana.
Included in the price (120€ per person):
- Authorized Volcanological Guide
- Tickets off-road vehicles (round trip) from an altitude of 1800 m. at an altitude of 2960 m. and from an altitude of 2825 m. to an altitude of 1800 m.
- Trekking poles
- Trekking shoes
- Extra socks
- Protective helmets
- Accident insurance
- Winter jackets
- Bottled water
- K-way (rain jacket)
- Parking ticket (3€ for the whole day – to be paid on the spot)
Good to know
- In the event of adverse weather conditions, we will advise you in order to communicate the cancellation or postponement of your excursion, at the earliest possible date.
- There is no advance payment for the reservation (except for agencies, groups or private services), after communicating your reservation to our number: +39 345 5741330 you will pay directly the guide who will be with you on the day of the excursion.
- In case of many requests, the participants will be divided into smaller groups with different guides, according to the languages in order to avoid the formation of large groups of people.
Appointment at the Mareneve bar kiosk, at Piano Provenzana,1800 mt at: 7:45am or at: 1:15pm
Departures planned at 8:00am and 1:30pm
Expected return at 1.30pm and 6.00pm (approximately)
Ascent with special 4×4 vehicles from Piano Provenzana along the magnificent panoramic road of Etna Nord
Arrival at an altitude of 2960 meters
Start of the 3km uphill trek to the Etna Summit Craters at an altitude of 3300m
Visit to the craters of the top of Etna
Beginning of the 2km downhill trek Descent on soil made up of sand and slag up to an altitude of 2825 meters
Return by off-road vehicles from an altitude of 2825 m to Piano Provenzana 1800 m
Total duration of the trek: approximately 4.5 hours
Total km : 5 km (variable value)
Maximum altitude reached on foot: 3300 meters
Minimum height reached on foot: 2825 m
Difference in altitude: 330 m (variable value)
Downhill altitude difference: 470 m (variable value)
Difficulty : For people used to moving regularly
- Layered outfit (short sleeved t-shirt, long sleeved or thermal t-shirt) – (it may vary according to the season)
- Trekking shoes Windbreaker or quilted jacket
- Hat and gloves (especially in spring and autumn)
- Water – minimum 1,5 L per person
Possibility to rent trekking shoes + jacket on site assisted by the guide who will accompany you
- Trekking sticks
- K-way (rainproof jacket)
- Backpack 25/30 L
- Lip balm
- Extra socks
- Long pants
- Rainproof jacket
- Extra t-shirt
- Handkerchief or bandana (to protect yourself from the dust or the volcanic gases)
- Trekking is not recommended for those who does not do physical activity regularly.
- The excursion requires a good preparation on a physical level. Because of it results to be a high height path, it would be easy to experience symptoms of fatigue.
- It is required also to be careful, since it is volcanic soil, often inconsistent and unstable.
- The excursion could be subjected to variations at the discretion of the Guides, or it could be interrupted in case of changes of the environmental, climatic or volcanic conditions, so as to undermine the safety of the entire group.
- The total time of the trekking trail will depends on the general pace.
- The excursion will be carried out according to the limits laid down by the ordinance in force.
- The route is also suited for children over 13 years old.
- The route consists of the ascent and the walking along the crater edges, this may cause dizziness to susceptible individuals.
- This type of itinerary, in relation to the type, is suited to people in good physical health, not suffering from particular disease (it is strongly discouraged to those who suffer from cardio-vascular problems, breathing problems or hypertension).
- We recommend not to use contact lens, because of the exhaled volcanic gases and of ash. This last one could easily cause problems, if pushed.
- Pregnant women who have passed the third month of pregnancy are not allowed to take part to any excursion activity.
- For the success of the excursion and for its correct carrying out, it’s good to know perfectly your health conditions and, if necessary, let the Guides know about them, in order to reduce the occurrence of any problem and to avoid any risks.
Guide Vulcanologiche Etna Nord
Facebook: Guide Vulcanologiche Etna Nord
Via Provenzana, 35, Ufficio Guide Vulcanologiche Etna Nord, 95015 Linguaglossa CT
Tel: +39 3455741330
© Volcanological Guides Etna Nord – Law 22 April 1941, n. 633
Protection of copyright and other rights related to its exercise.
Our group is composed of Guides belonging to the Regional College of Alpine and Volcanological Guides of Sicily, the Italian law provides that these professional figures are the only ones qualified to lead groups in active volcanoes’ areas and throughout the island territory
(Framework Law of 2 January 1989, n° 6 and Regional Law of 6 April 1996).