This excursion is available from: April / May until November
Departures planned everyday at 10:30 🕥 /13:30 🕜
– suitable also to children –
Prices: 69€ per adult – 50€ per child under 12
Departures planned everyday from Piano Provenzana at 10:30 (first departure) and at 13:30 AM (second departure) with the help of off-road vehicles along the panoramic street that goes up to the northern side of the Etna, between ancient craters and recent lava flows, till we arrive at the Volcanological Observatory, at a height of 2800 mt. Arrived there, You will be welcomed and accompanied by our guides till the viewpoint of Pizzi Deneri to admire the great panorama from the Summit Craters of the Etna to the Ionian Sea, looking at the Valle del Bove and at the Valle del Leone (the visibility could change according to the weather or volcanic conditions). Then, returned to the vehicles, the next stop will be at the Craters of 2002 eruption, where You will do a little, but fascinating trekking along the craters edges of the eruption that destroyed Piano Provenzana. Then it will follow the trip back to Piano Provenzana with off-road vehicles.
Included in the price:
• Authorized Volcanological Guide
• Off-road vehicle (round trip) from an altitude of 1800 m. at an altitude of 2800 m.
• Insurance in case of accidents
• Parking ticket (3€ for the whole day)
• Bottled water
• K-way (rain jacket)
Meeting planned in Piano Provenzana, at 10:00 AM (first departure) or at 13:00AM (second departure).
Departures planned everyday from Piano Provenzana at 10:30 and at 13:30AM.
Ascent with off-road vehicles along the magnificent panoramic road on the north side of Etna
Arrival at a height of 2800 mt.
Start of trekking till the viewpoint of Pizzi Deneri, 2830 mt.
Minimum altitude of the start of the trekking: 2800 mt – maximum altitude reached: 2830 mt.
Total climb uphill: 30 mt (it may vary) – Total climb downhill: 30 mt (it may vary).
Returned to the vehicles.
Trekking downhill till the 2002 Craters.
Altitude of the start of the trekking: 2060 mt – altitude of the arrival point of the trekking: 1935 mt.
Arrival in Piano Provenzana with the help of off-road vehicles, 1800 meters.
Total time of the trekking trail: 3 hours
Total kilometers to be covered on foot (Viewpoint of Pizzi Deneri + 2002 Craters): 2,5 km.
Difficulty: T (Touristic)
- Layered outfit (short sleeved t-shirt, long sleeved thermal t-shirt – fleece sweatshirt or sweatshirt)- (it may vary according to the season)
- Trekking shoes
- Windbreaker or quilted jacket (it may vary according to the season)
- Water – minimum 1 L per person
Possibility of renting trekking shoes + jackets on site.
- Trekking sticks
- K-way (rainproof jacket)
- Backpack 25/30 L
- Lip balm
- Hat and gloves (according to the season)
- Long pants
- Rainproof jacket
- Trekking doesn’t require great preparations on a physical level; it results to be easy and missing of steps extremely difficult. You must be, in any case, careful, since it is volcanic soil, often inconsistent and unstable.
- The trekking is not recommended for those who practice little motor activity.
- The excursion could be subjected to variations at the discretion of the Guides, or it could be interrupted in case of changes of the environmental, climatic or volcanic conditions, so as to undermine the safety of the entire group.
- The total time of the trekking trail will depends on the general pace.
- The excursion will be carried out according to the limits laid down by the ordinance in force.
- The route is suitable also for children over 4 years old.
- The route consists of the ascent and the walking along the crater edges, this may cause dizziness to susceptible individuals.
- This type of itinerary, in relation to the type, is suited to people in good physical health, not suffering from particular disease (cardio-vascular ones, breathing ones, or hypertension).
- We recommend not to use contact lens, because of the exhaled volcanic gases and of ash. This last one could easily cause problems, if pushed.
- Pregnant women who have passed the third month of pregnancy are not allowed to take part to any excursion activity.
- For the success of the excursion and for its correct carrying out, it’s good to know perfectly your health conditions and, if necessary, let the Guide know about them, in order to reduce the occurrence of any problem and to avoid any risks.
Guide Vulcanologiche Etna Nord
Facebook: Guide Vulcanologiche Etna Nord
Via Provenzana, 35, Ufficio Guide Vulcanologiche Etna Nord, 95015 Linguaglossa CT
Tel: +39 3455741330
© Volcanological Guides Etna Nord – Law 22 April 1941, n. 633
Protection of copyright and other rights related to its exercise.
Our group is composed of Guides belonging to the Regional College of Alpine and Volcanological Guides of Sicily, the Italian law provides that these professional figures are the only ones qualified to lead groups in active volcanoes’ areas and throughout the island territory – (Framework Law of 2 January 1989, n° 6 and Regional Law of 6 April 1996).