Departures planned everyday at 8:00- Available from May to November
Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec 2023 2024 2025 2026 Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 20 23 20 24 20 25 20 26 16 27 20 28 20 29 20 30 20
PRICES = € 40 per person for adults (excluding transport service)
35€ per person for children under 12 (excluding transport service)
For more details write us on Whatsapp +39 3455741330 or send us an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Everyday in Piano Provenzana,1800 mt
Departures provided every day from Provenzana (Etna North) at 8:00 am
The route is a valid alternative to the Summit Craters, and is among the most complete and fascinating that can be offered on the volcano, suitable for those who want to walk among craters, fractures in the ground, lava flows and visit exceptional volcanic supply ducts, where a time the molten magmatic mass boiled. The trekking of great volcanological and geological interest, involves the ascent on special 4×4 vehicles from an altitude of 1800 meters to an altitude of 2800 meters (for a total of 8 km of road) accompanied by your volcanological guide who will begin the explanations on board, until arrival at the ” Volcanological Observatory located at high altitude. Then the first trek will begin from an altitude of 2800 to an altitude of about 2900 meters, where we will stop at a panoramic point, with a view of the summit craters, the recent lava flows and the spectacle of Sicily seen from above (variable visibility depending on the weather conditions). After this first walk we will move back to aboard the 4×4 vehicle that will take us to the side of one of the large craters of the north side of Etna, where the longest trek will begin, all planned on foot to the initial starting point. During the journey you will visit the fracture called (Rift) of the north side of Etna, the craters of the eruption of February 24, 1947 you will enter with your protective helmets inside the chimney of a perfectly intact volcanic cone, you will enter inside the mouths that have produced the lava flows. The excursion will continue, on the edge of large explosive craters, through descents composed of slopes of volcanic ash, among the craters generated by innumerable lateral eruptions: 1914 / 24,1809,1874,1879,1911,1923,1974 / 75 up to more recent than 2002 for a total of 6 km of route up to Piano Provenzana. The groups will be distributed according to the number and language of the participants in the various guides in order to avoid the formation of large groups.
Included in the price (40€ per person – € 35 for children under 12):
- Authorized Volcanological Guide
- Trekking poles
- Protective helmets
- Accident insurance
- Trekking shoes
- Warm Jackets
- Extra socks
- € 50 for 4×4 vehicle ticket (round trip from 1800m to 2825m and from 2825m to 2500m) – (To be paid on the spot at the starting point on the morning of the excursion).
- Bottled water
- K-way (rain jacket)
- Parking ticket (3 euros for the whole day – You can pay it after the excursion)
- Gloves and hat (especially in spring and autumn)
Good to know
- In the event of adverse weather conditions, we will advise you in order to communicate the cancellation or postponement of your excursion, at the earliest possible date.
- There is no advance payment for the reservation (except for: agencies, groups or private services), after communicating your reservation to our number: +39 345 5741330 you will pay directly the guide who will be with you the day of the excursion.
- In case of many requests, the participants will be divided into smaller groups with different guides, according to the languages in order to avoid the formation of large groups of people.
Meeting at the: Kiosk Bar Mareneve in Piano Provenzana 1800 meters at 7:45 am.
Departures scheduled every day at 8:00 am.
Ascent with 4×4 vehicles from Piano Provenzana.
Arrival at an altitude of 2825 m.t.
Beginning of the trek at 2825 m.t.
Descent with vehicle up to an altitude of 2400 m.t.
Trekking fracture of 1947
Continuation of the descent with a visit to the side craters of the various eruptions
Arrival in Piano Provenzana 1800 m.t.
Total duration of the trek: 4.5h
Total km: 6 (variable value)
Maximum altitude reached: 2900 m.t.
Minimum altitude reached: 1800 m.t.
- Layered outfit (short sleeved t-shirt, long sleeved or thermal t-shirt) – (it may vary according to the season)
- High hiking shoes
- Windbreaker or quilted jacket
- Hat and gloves (according to the temperature of the seasons especially in: winter, spring and autumn)
- Water – minimum 1,5 L per person
- Trekking sticks
- K-way (rainproof jacket)
- Backpack 25/30 L
- Lip balm
- Extra socks
- Long pants
- Rainproof jacket
- Extra t-shirt
- Handkerchief or bandana (to protect yourself from the dust or the volcanic gases)
- Trekking is not recommended for those who does not do physical activity regularly.
- The excursion requires a good preparation on a physical level. Because of it results to be a high height path, it would be easy to experience symptoms of fatigue.
- It is required also to be careful, since it is volcanic soil, often inconsistent and unstable.
- The excursion could be subjected to variations at the discretion of the Guides, or it could be interrupted in case of changes of the environmental, climatic or volcanic conditions, so as to undermine the safety of the entire group.
- The total time of the trekking trail will depends on the general pace.
- The excursion will be carried out according to the limits laid down by the ordinance in force.
- The route is also suited for children over 6 years old.
- The route consists of the ascent and the walking along the crater edges, this may cause dizziness to susceptible individuals.
- This type of itinerary, in relation to the type, is suited to people in good physical health, not suffering from particular disease (it is strongly discouraged to those who suffer from cardio-vascular problems, breathing problems or hypertension).
- We recommend not to use contact lens, because of the exhaled volcanic gases and of ash. This last one could easily cause problems, if pushed.
- Pregnant women who have passed the third month of pregnancy are not allowed to take part to any excursion activity.
- For the success of the excursion and for its correct carrying out, it’s good to know perfectly your health conditions and, if necessary, let the Guides know about them, in order to reduce the occurrence of any problem and to avoid any risks.
Via Provenzana, 35, Ufficio Guide Vulcanologiche Etna Nord, 95015 Linguaglossa CT
Tel: +39 3455741330
© Volcanological Guides Etna Nord – Law 22 April 1941, n. 633
Protection of copyright and other rights related to its exercise.
Our group is composed of Guides belonging to the Regional College of Alpine and Volcanological Guides of Sicily, the Italian law provides that these professional figures are the only ones qualified to lead groups in active volcanoes’ areas and throughout the island territory (Framework Law of 2 January 1989, n° 6 and Regional Law of 6 April 1996).