On reservation at least 6 pax
Recommended period: from May to October
Possibility of making the excursion in winter from December to March with ski mountaineering
Price to be agreed at the time of booking!
You can send a message on whatsapp or call us at the number: +39 3455741330 or send us an email to: email@example.com
- Meeting point at the parking lot in front of Esagonal Bar – South Etna
Uphill planned with the help of the cable, that from a point of 1900 mt allows to reach the 2500 mt. From this point on it will start the walking trail, which develops above the lava flows of the 2002 eruptions, which led to the formation of the big scoria channels recognisable along the path and called “Barbagallo’s Craters”. Reached the location Torre del Filosofo at a point of 2900 mt, we will continue our trail on the lava flows emitted from the South East Crater in 2017 towards the Summit Craters.
After reaching and admiring the Central Crater, it will start the downhill towards the Northern part of the Etna, inside channels completely covered in ashes and lapilli, till we reach Piano delle Concazze, a big plateau unique in its kind, that comes before the Volcanological Observatory at 2800 mt, where it is planned the lunch break.
We go on, entering inside one of the most important channel which constitued the northern side of the volcano, known as “Quarantore”, till we reach the path that will lead us to the ski resorts. From there we will continue our trail on the lava flows of the 2002 eruption and inside the beech wood just above Piano Provenzana, the arrival point of the excursion.
Included in the price :
- Licensed Volcanological Guide
- Trekking sticks
- Insurance in case of accidents
- Entry/Admission – Mount Etna
- Trekking shoes
- Bottled water
- Cable-car (round trip) from 1900mt to 2500mt
- 4×4 jeep (one way) up to 2900mt 👉🏻 [This option may not be available due to recent volcano eruptions that have changed the morphology of the terrain].
- The transfer service for the trip back to Rifugio Sapienza after the excursion is charged to the participants (to be arranged by telephone).
- K-way (rainproof jacket)
N.B.: Possibility of using the 4×4 vehicles (STAR society – one way) from the arrival point of the Cable of the Etna (2500 mt) to the 2900 mt with an additional cost of 20€ (to be eventually arranged during the phase of reservation or calling our number :+39 3455741330) – 👉🏻 [This option may not be available due to recent volcano eruptions that have changed the morphology of the terrain].
Meeting at the square of Rifugio Sapienza, at 1900 (Nicolosi – South Etna), 8:30
Departure planned at 9:00
Initial briefing and buying of the tickets for the cable (one way)
Start of the trekking from a height of 2500 mt (the arrival point of the Cable of the Etna)
Achievement of the Summit Craters at a height of 3300 mt.
Downhill on the northern side towards the Volcanological Observatory.
Continuation of the downhill inside sandy big channels
End of the excursion at Piano Provenzana (1800 mt) at Guide Vulcanologiche Etna Nord office
Minimum altitude of the start of the trekking: 2500 mt – maximum altitude reached: 3300 mt (it may vary)
Total climb uphill: 500 mt (it may vary)
Total climb downhill: 1500 mt
Total time: 7/8 hours
Total kilometers: 13,5
Difficulty: EE (Expert Excursionists)
Excursion suitable to the adventure and big satisfactions’ lovers
Good to know
- In the event of adverse weather conditions, we will advise you in order to communicate the cancellation or postponement of your excursion, at the earliest possible date.
- There is no advance payment for the reservation (except for agencies, groups or private services), after communicating your reservation to our number: +39 345 5741330 you will pay directly the guide who will be with you the day of the excursion.
- There is no advance payment for transportation. The guide will take you inside the office of the Funivia dell’Etna for the payment of the return tickets, just before the departure.
- In case of many requests, the participants will be divided into smaller groups with different guides, according to the languages in order to avoid the formation of large groups of people.
- Lunch bag
- Layered outfit (short sleeved t-shirt, long sleeved thermal t-shirt) -> (it may vary according to the season)
- Trekking shoes
- Windbreaker or quilted jacket (it may vary according to the season)
- Hat and gloves (according to the temperature) – Especially in spring and autumn
- Water – minimum 2 L per person
- trekking sticks
- k-way (rainproof jacket)
- backpack 25/30 L
- lip balm
- extra socks
- hand gloves
- long pants
- rainproof jacket
- extra t-shirt
- handkerchief or bandana (to protect yourself from the dust or the volcanic gases)
- Trekking is not recommended for those who usually does not mountain excursion.
- The excursion requires a good preparation on a physical level
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- This type of itinerary, in relation to the type, is suited to people in good physical health, not suffering from particular diseases (breathing ones, or hypertension).
- The excursion could be subjected to variations at the discretion of the Guides, or it could be interrupted in case of changes of the environmental, climatic or volcanic conditions, so as to undermine the safety of the entire group.
- For the success of the excursion and for its correct carrying out, it’s good to know perfectly your health conditions and, if necessary, let the Guide know about them, in order to reduce the occurrence of any problems and to avoid any risks.
- The excursion will be carried out according to the limits established by the ordinance in force published by the competent authorities in case of volcanic explosions, the volcano guides must respect it. In this case the guides must stop where it is still safe to arrive for the safety of the entire group.
- The route consists of the ascent and the walking along the crater edges, this may cause dizziness to susceptible individuals.
- We recommend not to use contact lens, because of the exhaled volcanic gases and of ash. This last one could easily cause problems, if pushed.
- The trekking requires a discrete preparation on a physical level. Being a path that develops at high altitude, it will be easy to accuse symptoms of fatigue. It is required attention, since it is a volcanic active area, subjected to constant gaseous exhalations and composed by a soil constituted by inconsistent and unstable rocks.
- Without adequate shoes you are not covered by insurance.
- Pregnant women who have passed the third month of pregnancy are not allowed to take part to any excursion activity.
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- Because of the continuous and unpredictable evolution of the volcanic activity, the excursions could undergo variations, or, in extreme cases, be cancelled, at the discretion of the guide for safety reasons.
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund.
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund.
Facebook: Guide Vulcanologiche Etna Nord
Indirizzo Via Provenzana, 35, Ufficio Guide Vulcanologiche Etna Nord – CAP: 95015 Linguaglossa CT Tel: +39 3455741330
© Guide Vulcanologiche Etna Nord – Law of 22 April 1941, n. 633 – Protection of copyright and other rights related to its exercise.
Our group is composed of Guides belonging to the Regional College of Alpine and Volcanological Guides of Sicily, the Italian law provides that these professional figures are the only ones qualified to lead groups in active volcanoes’ areas and throughout the island territory.(Framework Law of 2 January 1989, n° 6 and Regional Law of 6 April 1996).