Recommended period from April to November
Departures scheduled by reservation with a minimum of 6 participants
Prices: € 45 per person for adults – € 35 per person for children under 12
For further details call or send a Whatsapp message to our number: +39 3455741330 or send an email:firstname.lastname@example.org
The starting point of the excursion is the square in front of Rifugio Citelli, at a height of 1740 mt. The starting part of the route will develop inside an amazing wood, consisting of plant specimens unique in its kind, like the birch (betula aetnesis – endemic species of Etna). The vegetation will be interrupted by channels, smoothed by snow melting waters; after about 1 km and half, we will reach the valley that welcomes inside the Grotta di Serracozzo (1851 mt), a lava flow tunnel generated during the 1971 eruption. After that, going upper, we will reach the panoramic point called Viewpoint of Serracozzo (2100 mt), from which it is possible to admire the Valle del Bove and the Summit Craters. The downhill will be done inside some sandy channels till the starting point.
Included in the price (40 € per person):
- Volcanological Guide
- Trekking sticks
- Bottled water
- Headlamp or flashlight 🔦
- Trekking shoes
Good to know
- In the event of adverse weather conditions, we will advise you in order to communicate the cancellation or postponement of your excursion, at the earliest possible date.
- There is no advance payment for the reservation (except for agencies, groups or private services), after communicating your reservation to our number: +39 345 5741330 you will pay directly the guide who will be with you on the day of the excursion.
- In case of many requests, the participants will be divided into smaller groups with different guides, according to the languages in order to avoid the formation of large groups of people.
Meeting from the square of Rifugio Citelli (1741 mt) at 9:00 am.
Start of the trekking on the path n.723.
Visit to the Grotta di Serracozzo (1840 mt).
Uphill to the Viewpoint of Serracozzo till a maximum height of 2170 mt.
Trekking downhill till the starting point.
Minimum altitude of the start of the trekking: 1741 mt – maximum altitude reached: 2170 mt (it may vary)
Total climb uphill: 500 mt (it may vary) – Total climb downhill: 430 mt (it may vary)
Total time: 4 hours
Total kilometers: 6
Difficulty: T/E (Touristic – Excursionistic)
The Serracozzo’s cave
The interior of the cave
- Layered outfit (short sleeved t-shirt, long sleeved thermal t-shirt – fleece sweatshirt or sweatshirt)
- Trekking shoes
- Front lamp / Torch
- K-way (rainproof jacket)
- Windbreaker or quilted jacket
- Water – minimum 1,5 L
- Backpack 25/30 L
- trekking sticks
- lip balm
- extra socks
- hat and gloves
- long pants
- rainproof jacket
- extra t-shirt
- handkerchief or bandana (to protect yourself from the dust)
- In case of eruption, it will be possible to enjoy some night excursions.
- Trekking requires a moderate preparation on a physical level; it results to be easy and missing of steps extremely difficult. You must be, in any case, careful, since it is volcanic soil and because of the presence of exposed sections in the Viewpoint of Serracozzo area and along the north eastern wall of Valle del Bove.
- The hypogeum environment could cause some claustrophobic problems; if it should show up, it is immediately necessary to communicate it to the Guide.
- The route consists of the ascent and the walking close to exposed sections (ridges, margins) and this may cause dizziness to susceptible individuals.
- The excursion could be subjected to variations at the discretion of the Guides, or it could be interrupted in case of changes of the environmental, climatic or volcanic conditions, so as to undermine the safety of the entire group.
- The total time of the trekking trail will depends on the general pace.
- The excursion will be carried out according to the limits laid down by the ordinance in force.
- The route is suitable also for children over 7 years old.
- This type of itinerary, in relation to the type, is suited to people in good physical health, not suffering from particular disease (cardio-vascular, breathing, or hypertension).
- We recommend not to use contact lens, because of the exhaled volcanic gases and of ash. This last one could easily cause problems, if pushed.
- Pregnant women who have passed the third month of pregnancy are not allowed to take part to any excursion activity.
- For the success of the excursion and for its correct carrying out, it’s good to know perfectly your health conditions and, if necessary, let the Guides know about them, in order to reduce the occurrence of any problem and to avoid any risks.
Via Provenzana, 35, Ufficio Guide Vulcanologiche Etna Nord, 95015 Linguaglossa CT
Tel: +39 3455741330
© Volcanological Guides Etna Nord – Law 22 April 1941, n. 633
Protection of copyright and other rights related to its exercise.
Our group is composed of Guides belonging to the Regional College of Alpine and Volcanological Guides of Sicily, the Italian law provides that these professional figures are the only ones qualified to lead groups in active volcanoes’ areas and throughout the island territory (Framework Law of 2 January 1989, n° 6 and Regional Law of 6 April 1996).