Suggested months : May – June and October
Excursion on request : departure with min. 6 participants
Prices : 50 € for adults – 45 € for children under 12 years old
For info we are available by phone or whatsapp at: +39 3455741330
Or send an email to : email@example.com
The starting point is Piano Provenzana 1800 mt on the north side of Etna, then we will reach the path of Monte Nero built inside the eruptive fracture of October 27, 2002 that destroyed the tourist resort of Piano Provenzana and on the lava flows of the eruption of 1923. Past the lava flows, we will be greeted by the magnificent beech forest of Timpa Rossa, where we will stop at the homonymous refuge. Past the refuge, we will walk on lava flows dating back to more recent eruptive activities such as that of February – March 1947 and ancient occurred between 1614 and 1624 where you can see spectacular volcanic morphologies to slabs and ropes, typically called pahoehoe from Hawaiian and fascinating globular shapes so as to be called “Mountains of the Dead“, These lava formations are also called “Dammusi“, Arabic name that means: ceiling – cover. Reached the Cave of Frost 2030mt enter to admire the grandeur, beauty, but especially the uniqueness of the ice that occupies the interior all year round, sometimes forming real stalactites and stalagmites. The return will be made along the same route up to Piano Provenzana, except for any evaluations at the discretion of the guide with return to the Refuge Ragabo.
Included in the price (50€ per person):
- Licensed Volcanological Guide
- Insurance in case of accidents
- Protective helmet
- Trekking poles
- Parking ticket (3€ all day to be paid on the spot)
- Bottled water – at least 2 liters per person (especially if in summer)
- Trekking shoes (to be rented on the spot at the authorized rentals at a cost of 5 € per pair)
- Windbreaker jacket
Meeting scheduled at the tourist station of Piano Provenzana (Linguaglossa prov. CT) at 8:00 am.
Beginning of the trekking
Break foreseen at Timpa Rossa Refuge.
Visit to the Cave
Return to the starting point
Minimum altitude of beginning of trekking: 1800 mt – maximum altitude reached 2095 mt
Total duration: 8h/9h
Total Km: 22 (with departure from Piano Provenzana and arrival at Ragabo Refuge)
Difficulty: EE (Experienced Hikers)
Please note: This excursion is absolutely suitable for all lovers of trekking and long walks
Good to know
- In the event of adverse weather conditions, we will notify you to notify you of the cancellation or postponement of your excursion, as soon as possible.
- There is no prepayment of the reservation (except for agencies, groups or private services), after having communicated the reservation to our number: +39 345 5741330 you will pay directly the guide who will be with you on the day of the excursion.
Mandatory equipment :
- Packed lunch
- Layered clothing (short-sleeved shirt – long-sleeved thermal shirt – fleece or sweatshirt) – (depending on the season)
- Hiking shoes
- Headlamp / flashlight
- Gloves and hat depending on the low temperatures and the permanent presence of ice inside the cave
- Windbreaker or down jacket
- Water – minimum 2 L per person (especially in summer)
- Backpack 30/40 L
- Trekking poles
- Sun cream / cocoa butter
- Spare socks
- Long pants
- Waterproof jacket
- Spare T-shirt
- Neck warmer
- This excursion is absolutely suitable for expert hikers, used to walk in the mountains regularly.
- We don’t recommend the excursion to those who think that it can be difficult considering the length of the path that consists mainly in crossing different lava flows of many eruptions.
- The trekking is suitable for all those who have a good training and a good equipment. The path is easy and absent of exposed passages, however attention is required since the volcanic soil is often inconsistent and unstable.
- The excursion may be subject to change at the discretion of the guides or be interrupted if the environmental, atmospheric or volcanic conditions should change, such as to compromise the safety of the entire group.
- The total duration of the trekking will be in function of the gait.
- The excursion will take place within the limits provided by the ordinances in force.
- Also suitable for children over 7 years old.
- This itinerary, in relation to its typology, is suitable for people in a state of good physical health, who do not suffer from particular pathologies (cardiovascular, respiratory or hypertension).
- We don’t recommend the use of contact lenses because of the gases exhaled by the volcano and the ash that, if pushed, could easily cause problems.
- The hypogeous environment could cause some claustrophobic problems, if they occur, you must immediately notify the Guide.
- Pregnant women who have exceeded the third month of pregnancy, is not allowed any type of hiking activity.
- To allow the success of the excursion and the proper conduct of the activity, it is good practice to know perfectly your health conditions and eventually present them to the guide, all this to reduce the occurrence of any problems and avoid running risks.
Via Provenzana, 35, Ufficio Guide Vulcanologiche Etna Nord, 95015 Linguaglossa CT
Tel: +39 3455741330
© Volcanological Guides Etna Nord – Law 22 April 1941, n. 633
Protection of copyright and other rights related to its exercise.
Our group is made up of guides belonging to the Regional College of Alpine and Volcanological Guides of Sicily, the Italian legislation provides that these professionals are the only ones qualified to lead groups in active volcanoes and throughout the island (Framework Law of January 2, 1989 No. 6 and Regional Law of April 6, 1996).