Excursion on request – scheduled departures with: minimum 6 participants
Recommended in the months of: April, May, October and November
Prices: € 45 per person for adults – € 40 per person for children under 12
For info – call our number: +39 3455741330 – Write a message on Whats app – Or send an email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Our starting point is Piano Provenzana (1800 m.t.) on the north side of Etna. The trek will start by following the path of Monte Nero inside the eruptive fracture of 27 October 2002 and on the lava flows of the 1923 eruption. After the lava flows, we will be welcomed by the magnificent beech forest of Timpa Rossa, where we will do a stop in the homonymous refuge. Subsequently we will walk on the lava flows of February 24, 1947 and finally on those of 1614-24 consisting of spectacular and unique volcanic morphologies of slabs and ropes, typically called pahoehoe, like the Hawaiian volcanoes. The vast lava field has numerous lava flow channels, one of these is the Grotta dei Lamponi (1720 m.) Within which it will be possible to admire fascinating speleo themes. It is one of the longest galleries on Etna and exceeds 700 m. of extension. After visiting the cave, the return will take place along the same route as the outward journey to Piano Provenzana, except for any assessments at the discretion of the guide with return to the Ragabo Refuge.
Good to know
- In the event of adverse weather conditions, we will advise you in order to communicate the cancellation or postponement of your excursion, at the earliest possible date.
- There is no advance payment for the reservation (except for agencies, groups or private services), after communicating your reservation to our number: +39 345 5741330 you will pay directly the guide who will be with you the day of the excursion.
Included in the price (45 € per person):
- Volcanological Guide enabled
- Accident insurance
- Protective helmet
- Front lamp
- Parking ticket (€ 3 all day to be paid on the spot)
- Bottled water (one and a half liters per person recommended)
- Trekking shoes and Trekking poles (to be rented on site at authorized rentals at a cost of € 5 per pair)
Meeting scheduled at the tourist resort of Piano Provenzana at 8:00 am
Departure from Piano Provenzana at an altitude of 1800 meters
Beginning of the trek.
Planned break at the Timpa Rossa Refuge.
Visit to the cave.
Return to the starting point.
Minimum altitude at the beginning of the trek: 1800 meters – maximum altitude reached 2000 meters
Total duration: 6 – 7h
Total km: 12
Difficulty: E (Hikers)
- Packed lunch
- Layered clothing (short-sleeved shirt – long-sleeved thermal shirt – fleece or sweatshirt) – (varies according to the season)
- Trekking shoes (can be rented on site at authorized rentals at a cost of € 5 per pair)
- Headlamp / flashlight
- K-way (waterproof jacket)
- Windbreaker or down jacket (depending on the season)
- Gloves or hat (especially in the winter, autumn and spring months)
- Water – minimum 1.5 L per person
- 25/30 L backpack
- Trekking poles (can be rented on site at authorized rentals at a cost of € 5 per pair)
- Sunscreen / cocoa butter
- Sun glasses
- Replacement socks
- Long pants
- Waterproof jacket
- Replacement T-shirt
- Handkerchief or bandana (to protect yourself from dust)
- Trekking requires good physical preparation, it is easy and absent of passages of difficult passages, however attention is required since it is volcanic soil.
- The underground environment could cause some claustrophobic problems, should it arise, it must be immediately reported to the Guide.
- The excursion may undergo variations at the discretion of the Guides or be interrupted if the environmental, atmospheric or volcanic conditions change, such as to compromise the safety of the entire group.
- The total duration of the trek will depend on the pace.
- The excursion will take place within the limits established by the ordinances in force.
- Also suitable for children over the age of 7.
- This itinerary, in relation to the type, is suitable for people in a state of good physical health, who do not suffer from particular pathologies (cardio vascular, respiratory or hypertension).
- We do not recommend the use of contact lenses because of the ash which, if pushed, could easily cause problems.
- Expectant mothers who have passed the third month of pregnancy are not allowed any type of excursion activity.
- To allow for the success of the excursion and the proper conduct of the activity, it is a good idea to know your health conditions perfectly and possibly present them to the Guide, all this to reduce the occurrence of any problems and avoid taking risks.
Via Provenzana, 35, Etna Nord Volcanological Guides Office, 95015 Linguaglossa CT
Tel: + 39 3455741330
© Volcanological Guides Etna Nord – Law 22 April 1941, n. 633
Protection of copyright and other rights related to its exercise.
Our group is made up of Guides belonging to the Regional College of Alpine and Volcanological Guides of Sicily, the Italian legislation provides that these professionals are the only ones authorized to lead groups in active volcanoes and throughout the island (Framework Law of 2 January 1989 No. 6 and Regional Law of April 6, 1996).